Summer of Action Voter Registration Challenge
July 13th – September 22nd (National Voter Registration Day)
Students Demand Action, the grassroots student led movement of Everytown for Gun Safety, is registering 100,000 young voters before the 2020 election and we need your help to accomplish this goal! To get started, sign up for our Summer of Action here.
Here’s your challenge: this summer, we need you to help register voters every single week. And we’re making it interesting: we’ll track the individual volunteers and states doing the most voter registration work and highlight each week’s all-stars on social media and Slack. Here are the three ways to participate:
1) Virtual Voter Registration
Host your own virtual voter reg event or participate with your group or state’s Virtual Field Office (Text VFO to 644-33 to join your state’s team).
- Enter your event here, and select “Voter Registration Drive” under event type.
- On the day of your event, track which attendees attended or were no-shows on the attendee check-in page, which you will receive in your email after your event is approved.
- Some examples of these types of events include: phone banking in your state, relational voter reg drives, and in person voter reg drives.
- If you want to join a virtual event instead of hosting one, sign up here!
2) Call Voters
Our Summer of Action phone banks are for anyone and everyone who wants to take action to register voters in priority states. Call shifts are 5 times a week and the links to sign up will be updated weekly.
- 08/31: Monday at 7pm ET / 4pm PT
- 09/01: Tuesday at 8pm ET / 5pm PT
- 09/02: Wednesday at 7pm ET / 4pm PT
- 09/03: Thursday at 5pm ET / 2pm PT
- 09/04: Friday at 7pm ET / 4pm PT
- 09/05: Saturday at 2pm ET / 11am PT
- 09/06: Sunday at 2pm ET / 11am PT
RSVP links will be updated here each week and on Slack in the #actions, and #2020-summer-of-action channels. If you want to be added to the #2020-summer-of-action channel on SDA Slack, email email@example.com.
After signing up, you’ll receive a Zoom link. During the call, the Summer of Action captains will tell the story of the state that you’ll be calling into to better understand the impact young voters can have in the upcoming election. Next, you’ll begin phone banking, with the captains there for technical and moral support. To participate in this challenge, attend as many shifts as you can!
3) Action of the day
The third part of our Summer of Action campaign involves completing daily actions.
- Each day’s actions and instructions will be announced during the phone bank shifts and in the #actions and #2020-summer-of-action Slack channels.
- Actions range in commitment level and can include anything from giving your voter registration pitch to one of your summer or fall classes, chalking and flyering, or posting on social media.
- Once you complete the action of the day, mark that you’ve done so under the actions tab in the Demand Action app. Download Demand Action here: Apple Store, Google Play Store.
You must track your voter reg shifts (update event attendance for VAN or the daily action in the App) by Friday 5pm PT, and we will announce the leaderboard and our all-stars on the following Tuesday!